Waterlogged permission

I wandered out to my No 2 pasture permission this morning to blow the post-Christmas cobwebs away. Nothing doing. It’s completely waterlogged. There was shallow standing water on the flat fields and the sloping one had running water seeping down the slope towards the beck which runs through the permission. The cowpats had dissolved so there were murky brown puddles everywhere. The sheep and cattle looked pretty miserable as well.

The stream was very swollen and I see from the Environment Agency map that there is a flood alert out for the beck. Give the condition of the ground and the forecasts for yet more rain I suspect part of this permission will be properly underwater in a couple of days.

Later in the week I will try the No1 permission and see if it’s any better. At least there isn’t a stream running through or alongside it.